home home home home home
home home home
home home home home home
Activities Local Information Links Community
Ground Transportation Vehicles & Reservations Transportation FAQ

National Immigration Institute & Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Mexico

Note: Please consult the official website of the National Immigration Institute (INM in Spanish) of Mexico at http://www.inm.gob.mx/EN/index.php for any migration matter.

You can also consult the official government information at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Mexico (SRE in Spanish) official website at http://www.sre.gob.mx/english

The National Immigration Institute (Instituto Nacional de Migración - INM) is the only official organism allowed to register any kind of migration status in Mexico.

Their website http://www.inm.gob.mx/EN offers comprehensive and very useful information in English to any non-Mexican who would like to:

  • Visit Mexico as a tourist
  • Live in Mexico
  • Marry a Mexican citizen
  • Renew or Process your Temporary Residence Visa Card or your Permanent Residence Card
  • Etc.

If you want to:

  • Acquire a Mexican citizenship…

…you may want to have a look at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Secretaría de Relaciones Exteriores – SRE) website http://www.sre.gob.mx/english/ which is the official Mexican organism in charge of this process.

For those of you who lease lots, rent houses, or have purchased property through a Fideicomiso Irrevocable (“trust”), you must have Temporary or Permanent Residence Visa Card. Once you have signed any sort of contract, you are no longer a tourist.

If you don’t have a Temporary or Permanent Residence Visa Card and you find yourself in a property dispute or other entanglement, which puts you in the arms of jurisprudence, you literally have no rights as an "illegal alien". This means your property, bank accounts, vehicles and personal belongings, are in jeopardy. The very minimum you need for owning or leasing property is the Temporary or Permanent Residence Visa Card which is renewable every year for 5 years.

To obtain your Temporary or Permanent Residence Visa Card we recommend you to consult the official INM website, your nearest Mexican consulate or your attorney.


If you are planning on renting your property, this activity has to be stated in your paperwork.

Wolf Property Management can assist you to get your immigration papers.
We can also help you understand & review some terms published in the official websites in English or in Spanish.

(*) This article is only intended to provide general information. It is not intended to be relied upon as legal, accounting, tax or other professional advice or services. Please consult with legal counsel and a tax advisor to address your concerns.

Site Map | Latest News | Vacation Rentals | Wolf PM Solutions | Transportation | Community | Privacy Policy | Partners | Wolf PM 2008 - 2021 ©